Cold Chain Industry Overview
The global cold chain market size was valued at USD 210.49 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.8% from 2021 to 2028.
The growing penetration of connected devices and automation of refrigerated warehouses across the globe is anticipated to spur the industry growth over the forecast period. An increasing number of organized retail stores in emerging economies are leading to increased demand for cold chain solutions. Moreover, trade liberalization, government efforts to reduce food waste, and expansion of retail chains by multinational companies are expected to boost industry growth over the forecast period. The World Trade Organization (WTO) and bilateral free trade agreements, such as the European Union Free Trade Agreement (FTA) and the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), have created opportunities for exporters in the U.S. and Europe to increase trade of perishable foods in a manner that is free of import duties.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Cold Chain Market
In developing economies, the refrigerated storage market is driven by a shift from carbohydrate-rich diets to protein-rich foods, owing to rising consumer awareness. Countries, such as China, are expected to portray a significant growth rate over the coming years due to a consumer-led transition in the economy. With growing technological advancements in warehouse management and refrigerated transportation, the market is likely to expand in developing economies.
Furthermore, growing government subsidies have enabled service providers to tap these emerging markets with innovative solutions to overcome complex transportation. Cold chain services are designed to provide ideal transportation and storage conditions for temperature-sensitive products. Increasing demand for perishable products and fast delivery requirements associated with the e-commerce-based food and beverages delivery market has created a significant boost in cold chain operations.
This is a stark shift from the earlier trend of consumers buying processed foods that had a longer shelf life. The rising trend of purchasing perishable products online has led to new opportunities and challenges. These include the need for innovative solutions to provide last-mile delivery, automated warehouses to manage inventories and reduce per-item costs, and low-cost and advanced temperature monitoring devices to maintain the safety of fresh food products.
Browse through Grand View Research's Automotive Transportation Industry Research Reports.
- Cold Storage Market - The global cold storage market size was valued at USD 119.98 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 13.4% from 2022 to 2030. The market has benefitted significantly from the stringent regulations governing the production and supply of temperature-sensitive products.
- Frozen Food Market - The global frozen food market size was valued at USD 291.3 billion in 2019. Growing importance of Ready-to-Eat (RTE) food products as a result of hectic lifestyles among working-class individuals on a global level are expected to expand the industry size over the next few years.
Cold Chain Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global cold chain market on the basis of type, packaging, equipment, application, and region:
Cold Chain Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
- Reefer Containers
- Monitoring Components
- RFID Devices
- Networking Devices
Cold Chain Packaging Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
- Insulated Containers Boxes
- Payload Size
- Large (32 to 66 liters)
- Medium (21 to 29 liters)
- Small (10 to 17 liters)
- X-small (3 to 8 liters)
- Petite (0.9 to 2.7 liters)
- Cold Chain Bags/Vaccine Bags
- Corrugated Boxes
- Payload Size
- Cold Packs
- Temperature-controlled Pallet Shippers
- Insulating Materials
- Cryogenic Tanks
- Others (Insulating Pouches, Hard Cased Thermal Boxes, and Active Thermal Systems)
- Insulating Materials
Cold Chain Equipment Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
- Storage Equipment
- Walk-in Coolers
- Walk-in Freezers
- Ice-lined Refrigerators
- Deep Freezers
- Solar Chillers
- Milk Coolers
- Solar-powered Cold Boxes
- Others (Solar Refrigerators and Products related to Solar Panels)
- Transportation Equipment
Cold Chain Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
- Fruits Vegetables
- Fruit Pulp Concentrates
- Dairy Products
- Ice cream
- Fish, Meat, and Seafood
- Processed Food
- Blood Banking
- Bakery Confectionary
- Others (Ready-to-Cook, Poultry)
Cold Chain Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 - 2028)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Middle East
Market Share Insights
- March 2018: The Global Lighting and Energy Access Partnership’s (LEAP) competition to develop energy-efficient cold storage facility encouraged the adoption of off-grid solar energy-based storage equipment.
- April 2020: Agro Merchants Group (US) extended its activities by adding more refrigerated extra room at its Nashville office. This choice was taken to oblige the rising interest.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global cold chain market include
- Agro Merchant Group (U.S.)
- Nordic Logistics and Warehousing, LLC (U.S.)
- Preferred Freezer Services, LLC (U.S.)
- Cold Chain Technologies, Inc. (U.S.)
- Cryopack Industries, Inc. (U.S.)
- Creopack (Canada)
- Cold Box Express, Inc. (U.S.)
Order a free sample PDF of the Cold Chain Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519